Friday, December 23, 2011

Love makes a family


Wow. YouTube said on Monday that more people watched me speak about my two moms than any other political video this year. More than 18 million people in total!1
 
Testifying before Iowa's state legislature was the best way I knew to fight back against attempts to codify discrimination into our state constitution and protect my moms' marriage. But I never imagined that my speech would touch a chord with so many people.

Frankly, I've been overwhelmed and humbled. And most importantly, I've been inspired that so many strangers care about protecting my family and families like mine. So to spread that inspiration this holiday season, MoveOn members have joined me in creating a new online project: Love Makes a Family. Hundreds of families of all stripes have sent in Love Makes a Family holiday photos and we've put together a great video featuring them.



One of the things that I have learned along this amazing journey is how simple acts like sharing a video have a huge effect on people. I've gotten so many emails from people who saw my speech and were moved so much by it that they changed their perspective on marriage equality. Simply put, love opened their hearts.

It's why I am so excited about this Love Makes a Family video. We can touch people's hearts and change the conversation about equality for all families with something as easy as hitting share on Facebook. Can you help me change a few more hearts by sharing the video right now?


Thanks for spreading love this holiday season.

Zach Wahls

P.S. I've been so honored that so many people shared the video of my testimony, and I'm working overtime to finish my book about all of this, appropriately titled "My Two Moms"—please check it out!

Source:

1. "Son of gay parents, Obama comedy speech, Perry campaign ad top YouTube 2011 political videos," The Washington Post, December 20, 2011
http://www.moveon.org/r?r=268950&id=34119-9315970-DEEeKzx&t=6

No comments:

Post a Comment